Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Wren and Towers Call It Quits



ATLANTA -- Two general managers in baseball are giving one another the silent treatment. Padres' Kevin Towers and the Braves' Frank Wren are no longer discussing a deal which could bring 2007 National League Cy Young award winner Jake Peavy to Atlanta for shortstop Yunel Escobar and prospects.

In a phone interview from his weekend cabin in the Appalachian Mountains, which Frank calls 'The Wren's Nest', the Braves GM said "We've had a communication breakdown. I mean we've been talking for a month now, and I just want Kevin to commit and he won't do it." Wren emotionally added "I've offered him a future no one else can give him, and he just says he wants more, more, more! I send him texts all day long and he just replies with one word replies, so I'm done!"

Towers refused phone calls from JBB offices, but sent an e-mail statement which read "Frank and I had a good thing going while it lasted. However, I have to move in another direction. Right now Jim [Hendry] is promising me stability and upside Frank cannot ensure. While I wish Frank all the best, I have to ---- what I can ---- while I can ---- it."

Wren, distraught, is moving on. Reportedly in the mix to sign free agent pitchers A.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe, the GM will have to win an aggressive bidding war between several other teams offering a king's ransom for the pitchers. While Wren also made a push for the most coveted free agent on the market, C.C. Sabathia, it looks to be all for not. In an effort to reclaim their annual payroll championship, the Yankees have offered C.C. over thirty million dollars more than any other club. Hank Steinbrenner, the team's co-chairman, said "We feel really excited about bringing another payroll title to the Bronx. We're really setting up a dynasty at this point. I mean, we may very well eclipse a quarter billion dollar payroll this year! It's not how you spend your money in baseball, but how much you spend that equals success. Just look at the Devil Rays, it's no wonder the Phillies, of all teams, beat them!"

Ultimately, Frank Wren may have to resort to overpaying for Derek Lowe who would be approaching 40 at the end of his next contract. Frank said of Lowe "He may not be an ace for us, but I have no doubt he's a king." Meanwhile, Frank's queen Kevin Towers may have to re-think his stubbornness for commitment with the Cubs re-signing Ryan Dumpster to a lucrative 52 million dollar elbow insurance policy. So the question remains: Will Frank and Kev call it quits, or become partners once again?

No comments:

Post a Comment